6.24.2019

Resurfacing

On Saturday I told the kids, "Today we will journey to Concord."  We needed fresh air, cool water, and books.  Concord, Massachusetts is good for all of these things. The library is situated downtown and its shelves are overflowing with hard to find books. It smells musty and familiar and is reliably quiet and peaceful. Yes, there are busts of old white men following you with their staring eyes, but there is also Louisa May, thankfully.  And she is actually spoken of by the librarians as if her presence lives. They said, "Take the stairs beside Louisa and then a sharp right at the top to find the adult fiction." "Why thank you," I replied enjoying the inclusion of Louisa May in the conversation. The kids each made a stack for checkout. Myles an ambitious one filled with Gaiman artifacts after reading and viewing the momentous Good Omens.  Fiona's was smaller. She likes to have one or two carefully selected good books on hand, nothing more.
Afterward we went to Walden Pond for a swim so Fiona could cram for the dreaded swim test. At camp, in order to avoid swim lessons which are scheduled during choice activity slots you have to pass the "stroke test." This requires a swimmer to successfully swim four different strokes for a set distance. Preparing for a swim test in romantic pond is still a chore, but an enjoyable one. (Below is the site of her actual swim test)

 This Saturday felt significant in that I had the freedom of mind to be present.  Graduate school responsibilities were not nipping at my heels. My job was to spend time with my kids and give Eric some space to get some of his work done. It was lovely. I hope it goes without saying that it wasn't literally perfect. There were grumbles about the lunch spot choice, and differing opinions about other minor details, but in general it was lovely.
   Time has been my friend these days. I find myself sitting and staring and thinking. And I don't feel lavishly idle, like I should be doing something else. It feels restorative and I am thankful. These moments don't come often or freely enough for all of us in this challenging world.


      I am reading the first chapter of piles of young adult books to prepare for a new job this fall. I will be a high school librarian in a nearby town. It wasn't the urban site I had imagined at first, but it was a good offer and one I couldn't afford to pass up. I am looking forward to hanging out with teenagers :)



No comments: