It is official. The holiday season is here! Indeed, it is better to give than to recieve, and no matter who your recipient is, picture books make the best presents bar none. They are thoughtful and friendly and lasting. You can find the perfect one for every person on your list. Biographies under the tree bring wonder, and as the wrapping paper gets thrown away, curling up with a new friend on the couch is a beautiful thing. And a Little House book tied up with a peppermint stick? You are giving the gift of wholesomeness. Enrapture the family with fairy tales, and apart from good food, you don't need much else.
Here are the titles that I will be giving my family and friends this year!
1. Amelia Lost, by Candace Flemming. An award winning biography of an icon.
2. A Boy Called Dickens, Deborah Hopkinson. Step back into time with Charles Dickens as he overcomes obstacles to become one of the greatest writers of all time.
3. A Clever Beatrice Christmas, Margaret Willey. A tale perfect for a niece who is clever enough to convince others to believe.
4. Snow, Uri Shulevitz. A highly acclaimed celebration of an ancient city's first snowfall led by a boy and his dog.
5. This is New York, M. Sasek. Vintage and Fascinating. Perfect for any New York lover, young or old.
6. Bon Appetit! the delicious life of Julia Child, Jessie Hartland. A wonderful and comical presentation of Julia Child's winsome career as we celebrate 100 years.
7. The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm, Noel Daniel. A beautiful collection certain to captivate.
8. Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?, Susan A. Shea. A clever book for a curious toddler.
9. Little House in the Big Woods, Laura Ingalls Wilder. I find someone to give this to every year!
10. A Pocketful of Posies, Salley Mavor. A unique treasury of nursery rhymes illustrated with rich fabric and colorful threads. Winner of the 2011 Horn Book Award.
I made a promise to myself that I would pre-order these books from local books stores, and I am sticking to it, so help me God. No super-fast-track-members-only-free-shipping for me this year. Care to join?